Green Acres Golf Club was formed in July 1948 on 44 hectares of the former Willsmere Dairy Farm land on the banks of the Yarra River at Kew East, purchased from the Brooksby Family for £18,400.
From a foundation membership of 239, the Club has grown to embrace over 1500 members.
The name "Green Acres" was put forward in 1947 by Mr. G.B. Oliver, who conceived the idea of building a golf course on the site, based on his expectation that the bordering Yarra River would enable the course always to be kept green. Over the years, with brief exceptions, he has been proved right.
On occasions, particularly in the 1950s and 60s the Yarra has been over generous and inundated the course - sometimes requiring swift action to prevent part of the course falling into the river. Flood control measures by the Melbourne Water in the river's upper reaches has reduced the impact in recent years with the notable exception of 2004 and 2005 when the course was flooded twice.
Since the then Governor, Sir Dallas Brookes, played the first stroke in December 1950, the Club has fulfilled its role in the Victorian golfing community. Apart from winning numerous men's and ladies' pennants in inter-club competition, Green Acres has hosted the annual Boroondara Cup in conjunction with neighbouring Kew Golf Club, the Yarra Courses Open and many VGA and WGV sponsored events. Summer clinics are held to introduce the game to a new generation of golfers.
Since 1961, the Annual Charity Day has raised many hundreds of thousands of dollars for local charities.
The First Forty Years 1948 - 1988 is a history of the Club compiled by Life Member W.J Dawson and is available for you to read by clicking the following link.